"Professionalism"

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Nov 11 15:51:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:49 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 10:34:40AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>  > I'm not sure what particular word has offended you in Barcode, but it's
>  > basically picking from a random dictionary. And, if you look at the source
>  > RPM, you'll find a patch which removes several words referring to parts of
>  > the human body some people find embarrassing. I looked at the remaining
>  > list, and am perplexed as to what you are offended by. "Gerbils", perhaps?
>
> At OLS last year (I think during Erik Troan's talk on conary), whilst
> taking questions, barcode kicked in. On a ~10ft projector, with the
> word 'flatulence'.
>
> Unfortunate and somewhat embarressing perhaps, but highly amusing.
>
> The choice of words barcode uses do seem to be of this nature a lot
> of the time, so I can sort of see the OPs point.

i can see the point of splitting up the xscreensaver package into more
sets or making it easier to prohibit users from getting to certain ones,
but I think at some point it just becomes silly censorship b/c some
people are afraid of seeing a naughty bit or hearing a dirty word.

I'm all for professionalism but I'm MORE for acting like an adult and
realizing the world isn't all roses and tea.
-sv