wall-messages and desktops

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Sep 22 18:43:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 17:39 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 16:47, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > D-BUS could certainly be used to fix it, yes. You have to write two
> > pieces, one piece runs systemwide and forwards wall messages over D-BUS;
> > one piece runs in the user session and displays any such messages.
>
> ...which sounds like yet-another-daemon (or two) ... like we didn't have
> enough of 'em already :-/
>
> Hmm.. dbus-0.21 changelog says "implement "auto activation" flag on
> messages, so the destination service can be launched automatically"
> which, if it means what I think, is exactly what I was hoping for: the
> ability to register a program for given type of messages which then do
> stuff with the information received from the bus. So you don't need a
> separate user daemon for each and every thing that you might want to
> communicate across dbus - or did I completely misunderstand that?

That doesn't avoid the daemon in this case, but nothing says this has to
be a separate daemon. The feature could be packed into gnome-settings-
daemon, gnome-panel, gnome-session, or any other existing process.

The same is true of most of the desktop daemons; it's just a question of
modularity vs. performance.

Havoc