Some analysis of starting a Gnome session under valgrind

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Sep 21 20:26:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 14:05 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   I wanted to do this for a long time but only now I had the time and
> a destop beefy enough to try this. Basically I replaced /usr/bin/gnome-session
> by a shell script :
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/valgrind --trace-children=yes --log-file=/tmp/valgrind /usr/bin/gnome-session.orig $*

Cool, definitely useful stuff.

>     - one python (rhn applet I suspect) generated a huge log, python-2.3
>       doesn't seems valgrindable.

Yeah, I think the problem is that Python does its own internal memory
management.

> - giop_send_buffer_write in libORBit-2 leading to
>   Syscall param writev(vector[...]) contains uninitialised or unaddressable byte(s)
>   that time the uninitialized data is 10 bytes inside a block of size 2048
>   allocated within orbit itself.

It's my understanding that ORBit often allocates large buffers and
writes the whole thing even after only using a small portion, this works
in the CORBA protocol.  You can compile ORBit with some special
configure option to make it initialize the buffers.

> - pango read_line raises a strange pthread mutex error:
>   pthread_mutex_lock/trylock: mutex has invalid owner
>   in pthread_mutex_lock called by pango_read_line from pango_find_map

This one is odd, maybe Owen has an idea.