Make consolehelper more liske sudo?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Mar 3 19:34:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 10:08 -0500, Eric Warnke wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have unsucessfully been attempting to find out through both
> documentation, testing, and internet sources if I can get consolehelper
> to act more like sudo rather than su.  Right now my problem is that
> there is NO WAY to roll this out to more users as a desktop alternative
> without giving them some power user ability ( printers, date and time,
> removable storage managment, ... ).  Right now in order to give them
> access to these applications AFAICT I must either give the users the
> root password ( not gonna happen ) or create a pam.d file so that there
> is no password prompt ( pam_wheel with trust option ).  Neither of these
> is a truly acceptable option at this point.
>
> Any change should try to keep the system as close to baseline as
> possible, I would prefer not to rip out the consolehelper system, but I
> will if I have to.  The featureset I want is identical to sudo, but I
> will make accomidations as long as I can allow users to run a specific
> command after prompting for the users password.

You can probably just set things up with sudo... I'm not sure how
involved that is.

I do think consolehelper knows how to require user password instead of
root password though. You may have more luck finding help with this on
fedora-list or IRC than on this list. I'm not sure of the syntax myself
but I'm pretty sure you want to edit the /etc/pam.d files.

All this "end user desktop" stuff that requires root I consider a bug
btw, if you want to file a bugzilla for the individual items that would
be helpful. If you get NOTABUG/WONTFIX from someone at Red Hat let me
know and I'll tell them they are wrong.

Havoc