Modern File Heirarchy

Jason Knight-Martin jason at cassiopaea.com
Sun Sep 3 16:26:52 UTC 2006

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 12:21:55AM -0600, Bryan Livingston wrote:
>
>>> Concurrent installs of different versions/etc can be done in GNU/Linux as
>>> well. Is there an aspect of this that you're referring to that prevents
>>> or discourages this?
>>>
>> With Linux I'm only familiar with doing it on separate partitions.  In
>> windows at least you can run side by side on a single file system.
>>

> As I said before, that's only because Windows is terrible at handling
> partitions.

In the end, the hierarchy is arbitrary, you can write any interpretation
to cover it up and make it appear different, as we have seen on
OSX. Personally, I come from the Linux as a religion corner, unless you
can show without doubt that the filesystem is essentially flawed,
then you are messing with something sacro-sanct out of self-importance.
Of all the things on the dock to work on in the Linux environment,
changing the filesystem opens up the least number of possibilities for
advancement in concrete usability.

/Jason Knight