Modern File Heirarchy

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Sun Sep 3 23:53:54 UTC 2006

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 03:03:53PM -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
>>> Sure. Categorizing and grouping is great. But is a tree the best
>>> representation?
>> In something like this, yes. The hierarchy continues subdividing the
>> filesystem into distinct areas, similar to how one might organize their
>> home directory with a folder for music, one for documents, one for videos,
>> one for pictures, etc.
>
> What you've described here is a flat list, not a tree.

Thanks for pointing this out. I intended to exemplify something like what I have
in my home directory:

In ~/Music, I have directories for each artist I listen to, then within those
I have directories for each album by that artist, then within _those_ I place
the audio tracks. So, for instance, my copy of Arch Enemy's "Wages of Sin" album
is stored as FLACs in "~/Music/Arch Enemy/Wages of Sin"

As another example, my ~/Documents directory contains directories for
Work, Schoolwork, and one entitled "Random Musings." Stuff I do for my job is
placed in ~/Documents/Work, while the "Random Musings" subdirectory is where
I store various poetry and/or articles I'm writing. Within the Schoolwork
subdirectory, I have one subdirectory for each class, so if I had something
for my physics class this semester, I'd store it in a directory path of
"~/Documents/Schoolwork/Phys 221" for example.

Hope that helps.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479