Some recent changes

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 20 15:44:53 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 09:03 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
?

> This change has to be made now because we want F12 to be as polished as
> it can be. Dropping dead and refraining from any further changes at beta
> time might be comforting to rel-eng and qa, but it is not conductive to
> getting the best release we can.

Neither is doing things at the last minute. If the changes were so
important, why weren't they done earlier? The show desktop icon has been
the default for many many years. What is driving the sudden change?

> I strongly deny that we have to provide a 'user interaction study' for
> every change we make.

I think this just deflects the point that late changes frustrate end
users and has the potential to cause problems. Unless there is a strong
reason to make such changes now, it shouldn't be done at the end of the
development cycle. It should be done early during the development of a
new release, preferably somewhere around Alpha release and it should be
announced and discussed ahead of time. This helps gather feedback, tweak
or change settings if necessary and document the rationale and how to
revert back those changes if the user preferences are different.

Rahul