Re: Some recent changes

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Matthias Clasen wrote:

I spend a lot of time in the end user forums answering questions and I
have to document them in the release notes if I don't want to spend even
more time answering the same questions and believe me, any change in the
default panel is going to get end users puzzled because they already
have strong expectations from years of experience with the defaults.
Easing the pain of transitioning from one release to another should be a
important goal.

'No change' is obviously not the right answer to 'pain of
transitioning'. If we were taking upgrades seriously, then preupgrade
would receive enough attention to handle transitioning of user settings.
But that is not the case.

I've never seen any bug report or rfe about this feature. And I'm not sure preupgrade would do it since migrating the user's settings can't really happen until AFTER the upgrade completes.

Maybe you don't mean preupgrade, maybe you mean anaconda or firstboot?

-sv