Some recent changes

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 20 19:23:15 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2009, 00:27 +0530 schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
> On 10/21/2009 12:12 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > John Poelstra (poelstra at redhat.com) said:
> >> Who is "us"?  Where does the desktop team, SIG, or whoever "us" is
> >> discuss and decide things like this?  What meetings or other
> >> gatherings can concerned community members attend in the future to
> >> participate in these decisions?
> >
> > AFAIK, much like the XFCE, LXDE, and similar sigs, there are not formal
> > meetings, or heirarchy. Show up and be interested! (Here, #fedora-devel,
> > #fedora-desktop on gimpnet.)
>
> Unlike XFCE, LXDE etc which are just one or two people in Fedora,
> Desktop team is a lot many more people and has a much higher impact
> being the default download in Fedora. I don't think the comparison fits.

+1, Rahul.

Xfce has two maintainers (Kevin and me), LXDE only on (me). How many
maintainers does the GNOME desktop have? Shouldn't these people be
involved?

And what about the users? GNOME has a much larger user base than any
other DE in Fedora. How are they involved?

When we make decisions about changes in Xfce, we usually make them in
#fedora-devel. And here "we" means not only Kevin and me, but also Adam,
Rahul and others. First we discuss the changes, then we gather feedback.
I have a group of ~ 10 German Xfce users, some of them members of the
SIG (Marcus Möller, Matthias Summer), others are regular visitors of
#fedora-de or fedoraforum.de, whom I ask for their thoughts. Kevin does
similar at fedoraforum.org. When I have enough feedback, we get back
together to make a final decision. I have to admit that this process
could be more transparent to the people not involved, but I think it's
open and democratic.

Last bug not least: Unlike Gnome nether XFCE nor LXDE are Fedora's
flagship products. Changes in GNOME impact not only more users but also
the reputation of the Fedora Project.

> Rahul

Regards,
Christoph