desktop spin page content?

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 21 20:27:03 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

So as part of the ongoing Fedora web redesign, we made a design for a
full revamp of spins.fedoraproject.org to have a spins directory with
details pages for each spin.

Here's the mockups for that site:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign_2009/Mockups/Spins.fpo

I was wondering if the desktop spin should get a page on there as well?
I put it in the directory mockups. But it is the default spin, so maybe
it doesn't need a spins page? I'm not really sure what's the right call.
What do you think? The timeline on this is really tight (sorry for that)
so I was hoping to get an idea of what to do by next Monday if at all
possible.

If you *do* think it should get its own page on there, can someone help
me come up with content for it? Here's a listing of the content I need
(by next Tuesday? is that do-able?) that I received from the spins SIG
for the other spins:

- A slogan for your spin to serve as the heading for the home page. The
sample one I came up for KDE is: "It's your desktop. Be free." If you
need helping coming up with one I'm happy to help.

- At least a paragraph describing what your spin is used for, who your
spin is for, what unique features it has - that kind of information.
This will also go on the home tab.

- A representative screenshot for your spin.

- For the downloads tab, if you'd like custom text to describe the spin
download, let me know. Otherwise I'll use the defaults in this mockup:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/c/ce/Spin-details-download.png

- For the support tab, I'd like to know what IRC channels or other live
support options users have for your spin (if any), what mailing lists /
forums / non-live support options users have for your spin (if any), and
what documentation would you like to highlight to new users. An example
is shown here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Spin-details-support.png

- Finally, I'd like to create some custom branding for each spin, so the
different spins pages are distinguishable from one another. You can see
in this KDE spin mockup, I did a bar above the tabs that has the KDE
logo. Let me know what kind of graphic you'd like for your spin ASAP and
I can come up with mockups:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/3/31/Spin-details-home.png

The mockups for the Fedora Electronic Lab spins page are really
fleshed-out and are probably a good example of how the above information
is going to be used:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign_2009/Mockups/Spins.fpo#Fedora_Electronic_Lab_Spins_Mockups

I'm *really* sorry I didn't think to send you something sooner. I mailed
the spins SIG list a couple weeks ago and made a few blog posts to
Fedora planet, but I didn't even think about the special case of the
desktop spin.

~m