Some blurriness in gnome desktop

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 12:47:19 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I've been pondering this for a while, but there has been an increasing
amount of blurriness in desktop UI elements that haven't been (most
likely) designed by or even consulted with the gnome-art team (or fedora
design team). Some examples include (the top part of each picture is
screenshot, the bottom part is analogue done in inkscape to look crisp;
ignore the coloring, it's not important in these images):
      * sound preferences [1]
      * volume control with compositing [2]
      * new tooltips [3]

It does not seem that the blurriness is intentional, so I though I'd
point it out. The problem is that if you're drawing fills you need to
start at integer x,y values for position; when drawing borders, they
need to be shifted by exactly half of their width (i.e. 0.5 px for 1px
wide borders) to look crisp. We are not working with very high DPI
display devices so this is important.

I think fixing these would nicely fit with your "polishes for F12"
project.

Martin