NetworkManager & keyring

Marius Andreiana mandreiana.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 19:19:30 UTC 2009

After a few days of using a fresh F11 setup, upon login I was told
nm-applet wants to access default keyring, but it's locked. Enter
password.

Hm. Don't know what password. Tried my account and root password, no
luck. Searched help for how to change keyring password, nope.
Ah, found Preferences -> Encryption and Keyrings, that will help. Uhm... no.

Tried a restart, same question. Tried to add another network
connection to get my net working, but still NM wants to know the
default keyring password. I want that too :) Finally I tried my
initial account password used on install (which I changed a few days
later), that was it!

Could this behaviour be changed to: when a keyring needs to be setup,
prompt user with a dialog explaining what a keyring is and ask for a
password.

(about my recent posts - I've been influenced in the last 2 years by
working together with a few professional UX folks. However, I'm not a
person with UX studies/certifications. I just hope to show you the
experience of a new Linux user)
--
Marius Andreiana