Thoughts on updates

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 30 11:57:15 UTC 2009

On 09/30/2009 05:19 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> 2009/9/30 Rahul Sundaram :
>> One thing I would really like is for PackageKit to download updates in
>> the background (detecting whether I am on a low bandwidth connection)
>> and only prompt me for updates when it is ready to install.
>
> It already detects what kind of connection you are on. When the
> idle-bandwidth changes are done we can do things like this without
> upsetting people actually using the connection.

I know it detects the connection but would like to have a preference
option that downloads updates in the background. I think that is what
Mac OS X does by default but I might be misremembering that.

>> Another constant annoyance is that soon after a yum operation in the
>> command line, PackageKit insists on updating some metadata immediately
>> thereby locking out the subsequent commands for sometime (can be a
>> considerable delay). I would prefer it to wait for a few mins and not
>> interrupt me. Filed and closed WONTFIX however.
>
> Sure, remove PackageKit-yum-plugin or blacklist it in the yum
> configuration. There's also now configuration for this value in the
> systemwide config file, /etc/PackageKit/PackageKit.conf:

Why would I remove PackgeKit yum plugin? I want to use PackageKit and
yum interchangeably. There are particular things yum makes easier and
there are particular things PackageKit makes it easier for me. I think
it is a common enough use case that I want it to just work without
having to tweak configuration files. IMO, the default state change
timeout value should be higher but I have done that for now. Thanks.

Rahul