Automated Testing

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Sat Aug 9 11:58:56 UTC 2003

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 11:43:12AM +0100, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone does any automated testing/continuous
> integration with package trees and wondered what system setup you use.
>
> Theoretically you could pull rawhide, cvs ( cvsup for jbj ) and kick off
> package builds and run some tests.  I'm considering writing some
> integration tests for one of the projects I work on, and thought I'd see
> what other people do before re-inventing the wheel.

  Well one thing could be to run/collect/compare output from the
"make test(s)" or "make check(s)" that the makefile of the program
or library may provide. It's not done but could help finding
regression troubles between releases or platforms.
  But I doubt it's an easy task, fist one need to find if those
makefile target exists, then run them from the build tree, deal
with possible missing shared libs and design checking code to
dig and compare the possibly huge amount of data it would generate
into a human usable result.
  Hard but if done well could be quite useful !

Daniel