up2date for testing (with apt/yum/dir repo support)

Adrian Likins alikins at redhat.com
Wed Aug 13 16:04:19 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 11:13:50AM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> Quoting Adrian Likins <alikins at redhat.com>:
>

> > http://people.redhat.com/~alikins/up2date/severn/
> >
> > New up2date for testing. Somewhat notable new
> > feature of support for 3rd party yum and apt
> > repos. See /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources for info
> > on configuring them (docs to come).
>
> Whoa.. cool! :) Had a quick look over aptRepo.py, a couple of comments on
> findings in there:
> 1) "# assuming this is always bz2?" - yes, it's always bz2. There can be an
> uncompressed version of the file as well but then who the heck wants to download
> an uncompressed file when the .bz2 file is there... legacy stuff.

	fallback to gz/uncompressed should be easy enough, I'll refresh
the TODO list

> 2) "# FIXME .." comment wrt the repository layout and finding the package -
> yes there are basically two kinds of repositories, "traditional" and "flat",
> of which flat one is what almost everybody uses nowadays. Supporting to trad
> layout where RPMS and SRPMS are on a different directory level would be nice but
> I wouldn't consider lack of it as a showstopper at all.

      On the TODO list... Next step is to grab base/release and use it
to find the pkglists, and to verify there md5sums. Also poplate a more
useful channel description and other details. That should help cover
most of the potential layouts.

Adrian