/usr boot time dependencies

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Wed Aug 20 14:17:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Florian La Roche wrote:

> Please submit patches into bugzilla, if you want to have those
> replaced. I also think that some of those constructs should be
> replaced.

I'll post my ip link example as a suggestion.

> > use the bash EUID builtin variable :)
>
> I don't think we should add further things that rely on bash specifics.

hmm.. how so?

otherwise, use the USER or UID shell variables (sh has at least USER,
not sure about UID) - but these may not neccessarily be == root/0
even if euid is 0.

> portmap was changed to not use id and link statically against
> libwrap. (This should be mentioned here twice on this list and
> rawhide should have new rpms.)

thanks!

> Up to someone else to decide. I wouldn't use "sort -u".

ip ... | awk then.

in fact, why not rewrite the entire init scripts in gawk? much more
expressive language than shell while actually being a smaller binary
than bash (and probably faster). (i'm actually half-serious :) ).

> greetings,
>
> Florian La Roche

regards,
	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
It's a poor workman who blames his tools.