Perl 5.8.2 in Rawhide

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Dec 5 18:41:17 UTC 2003

On Friday 05 December 2003 12:05 pm, Chip Turner wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> writes:
> > The PostgreSQL PL/Perl module would also need rebuilt, AFAIK.

> Modules shouldn't need rebuilding; 5.8.2 is backwards compatible from
> a module perspective (and so far, it seems, from an embedded
> perspective, too).

Ok, maybe I used the wrong terminology.  PostgreSQL allows modules that
implement procedural languages that run inside the backend server, executed
from SQL statements.  PL/Perl is the PostgreSQL module that embeds perl
inside the PostgreSQL backend, allowing the user to run stored procedures in
Perl.  Since it embeds perl, and the original message said embedders needed
recompile, I answered the way I did.  PL/Perl embeds perl in PostgreSQL the
same way as mod_perl embeds Perl in Apache.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology