Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Mon Dec 8 18:31:19 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:20:35AM -0700, Ori Pessach wrote:
> Will the 2.6 kernel shipped with Fedora Core 2 have the preemptible
> kernel feature enabled? I would like to see that, since it would make
> Fedora ready for low-latency pro audio work out of the box.

No, the pre-emptible kernel feature doesn't seem to be quite ready
yet.  However, the 2.6 kernel also has the lowlatency patchset applied,
and that gives pretty much all of the benefit.  Clark Williams wrote
a good paper on this a while ago.

However, we *are* exporting an easier initial configuration generation
mechanism with these kernels that will make it easier to rebuild a
kernel to your specifications; you'll be able to make configuration
changes in the fewest logical places and rebuilt SRPMs, which should
make Fedora Alternatives projects that include modified kernels easier.
When kernel-2.6.0-0.test11.1.8 or later is in devel, you can look at
its SRPM for the config-* files of the kernel-*-config files.  These
config-* files are merged together into kernel-*-config files at
build time.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/