Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Mon Dec 8 21:16:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:25:10PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm at redhat.com) said:
> > On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 02:55:39PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > Note that Red Hat hasn't even shipped a kernel that supported that
> > > box for multiple releases (since 7.3). I'm not sure that scaling
> > > back the requirements that much is something that fits the model
> > > of always moving forward with new technology.
> >
> > Huh?  Sure we have.  You can use the BOOT kernel if you don't mind
> > missing a few pieces.  :-)
>
> ... and having it configured with different built-ins, etc. If we
> went this route, we'd want a generic kernel.

My point is that they can get *something* installed in those cases.

Obviously, if we want to take this seriously, we'd consider putting
back an i386 kernel configured normally.

> > Moving technology forward doesn't HAVE to mean being in a race with
> > memory, cpu, and disk producing companies.  We want to scale small
> > as well as large, and I'm not strictly opposed to making this
> > available if we can figure out how to do it without making life
> > significantly harder for us.
>
> To scale smaller generally requires changing the default applications,
> which leads you down to including X versions of everything.

There's a difference between going out of our way to cater to this
use group and not putting artificial barriers in the way.  I'm not
saying that we need to build, effectively, two different versions of
Fedora Core.  I am saying that we should not take a father-knows-best
attitude and put up artificial barriers.  So we shouldn't put lots
of work into it, but if something is easy to do to enable technical
experimentation with hardware, it's at *least* worth considering.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/