Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Mon Dec 8 22:47:48 UTC 2003

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Ian Wells (ian at yoshian.freeserve.co.uk) said:
>
>>In October there was a discussion on this issue:
>>
>>Suggestions for the Installer (regarding network installs)
>>http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-October/msg00576.html
>>
>>It talks about "USB boot images" and booting from USB to start a network
>>install.
>

> Well, I've seen a boot key, so it's certainly possible in that manner.
> It's just a matter of having a bunch of images all there for booting
> a different way (floppy, CD, <other>)

   Making a usb stick drive work is really as simple as the link
suggests.  Assuming the usb device is already formated as fat, and our
cdrom is in the drive.  All you need to do is this:
mount /mnt/cdrom
mount /dev/(usb device) /mnt/usb
cp  /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/* /mnt/usb
rm /mnt/usb/isolinux.bin
mv /mnt/usb/isolinux.cfg /mnt/usb/syslinux.sys
umount /mnt/cdrom /mnt/usb
syslinux -s /dev/(usb device)

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.