OpenOffice.org British thesaurus

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 19:53:03 UTC 2003

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 06:57:50 -0700, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 21:05, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
>> You're right, after much Googling I couldn't find any OSS thesauruses.

> Well then start one. If you cant program you can at least do the word
> conversions and such. With that someone can at least do a basic db with
> it. The world isnt going to end because everything isnt absolutely perfect
> and done now.

I'm just surprised, no, in fact shocked, that it hasn't been done before.
Linux didn't suddenly appear yesterday; the English language wasn't
invented last week; people haven't only recently started using word
processors; and yet not one of the 70 Million+ people in the UK has ever
questioned the fact: that in order to use an electronic thesaurus, you
have to use a commercial product and/or a commercial Operating System.

A slightly more thorough Google, turned up a project called "Open
Thesaurus" ... as yet, no files.

Oh well, back to doing things the old fashioned way. At this rate, I might
as well sell this computer, and buy a notepad and pen.