Preemptible kernel in Fedora Core 2

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 20:04:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:06:03AM -0700, Ori Pessach wrote:
> comes from the lowlatency patches. The 2.6 kernels I tried (from the
> RPMs I mentioned earlier) had really bad scheduling latency when the
> pre-emptible kernel feature wasn't compiled in. They behaved just like
> the 2.4 kernel without lowlatency.

Existing lowlatency patches were included.  That doesn't mean that no
new latency points have crept in since.  "lowlatency patches" means
fixing high latency points by explicitly yeilding; pre-emption is
implicit yields.

I would suggest that using kernel profiling to track down additional
latency points, since you are clearly hitting latency points now,
would be a useful thing to do.

> Am I missing something? Is the 2.6 kernel slated for inclusion in FC2
> different from the one available in
> http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/RPMS.kernel/ ?

A bit different (no 4g/4g support); new 2.6 kernels in the FC track are
now showing up in devel.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/