Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Tue Dec 9 20:19:59 UTC 2003

On Monday 08 December 2003 15:25, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm at redhat.com) said:
> > On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 02:55:39PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > Note that Red Hat hasn't even shipped a kernel that supported that
> > > box for multiple releases (since 7.3). I'm not sure that scaling
> > > back the requirements that much is something that fits the model
> > > of always moving forward with new technology.
> >
> > Huh?  Sure we have.  You can use the BOOT kernel if you don't mind
> > missing a few pieces.  :-)
>
> ... and having it configured with different built-ins, etc. If we
> went this route, we'd want a generic kernel.
>
> > Moving technology forward doesn't HAVE to mean being in a race with
> > memory, cpu, and disk producing companies.  We want to scale small
> > as well as large, and I'm not strictly opposed to making this
> > available if we can figure out how to do it without making life
> > significantly harder for us.
>
> To scale smaller generally requires changing the default applications,
> which leads you down to including X versions of everything.

Actually, I believe that some of the problem with a minimal install is
incorrect packaging.  Doing a "minimal" install, you still get XFree86
installed (including XFree86-devel and a whole bunch of other devel
packages).  For a system which does not configure X and is intended to be
minimal, this does not make sense to me.
--
Gene