Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 00:44:24 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:14:42PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 December 2003 16:04, Alan Cox wrote:
> > yum is pretty essential for a bare bones install. The absolute bare
> > bones install is a kernel glibc and bash, the rest isnt required
>
> The idea was to create the minimal system while still having a
> commandline rpm.  Yum is a bit more, but with the command line rpm, one
> can easily add yum to the system.  Without a command line rpm, it gets
> to be quite difficult to add software to the system.  I still firmly
> suggest that the "Barebones" install include enough to run commandline
> rpm, but not pull in other tools such as yum or apt or up2date or.....

I agree.  Once you get beyond the absolute minimum system you can
boot and update in the most minimal way, we're right down a slipperly
slope to the current minimal-but-not-really-minimal situation and we
might as well not bother to change a thing.  This is something that
you should not use unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

Now, I really like Alan's name of bootstrap for this.

If someone wants bootstrap+yum, they can do that and the installer
can work out the dependencies for them.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/