Exim packages

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 12:23:04 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have for some time maintained a set of rpms for the exim MTA package
(see http://www.exim.org/ ).  The rpms are stashed on
ftp://ftp.exim.org/pub/rpms-for-exim/ and have been relatively widely
used or forked.  A variant of those rpms were used for the exim package
on the old Red Hat powerpack (is that the right name) CDs.

I'd like to move these rpms to a distribution set that allows them to
easily maintained (from the point of view of the end user), hence
looking at pushing these into the fedora project.

Currently the release part of the rpm tags would not fit the fedora
naming conventions.  At present I intend to keep the current set until
the package version number changes and then shift the release tag so as
not to get version confusion between existing packages and fedora
repository ones.

The exim rpm spec file builds on everything from RH6 through FC1
including the RHEL 2.1 & 3 versions - these are autodetected at build
time.  A tag is added to the release part to specify what OS base we are
building to.  Since exim has a number of build option - choice of
database interfaces, perl integration etc - a good number of sub
packages are built, the intention being you install exim, exim-mon
(optional), exim-doc (optional) and one of the exim-* packages with the
particular functionality you require (exim-base for most people).

Comments, flames, recommendations on integration would be welcome - well
not so much the flames unless they are constructive ones :-)

	Nigel.