Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Jean-Rene Cormier jean-rene.cormier at cipanb.ca
Wed Dec 10 13:41:21 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 09:32, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Chris Adams wrote:
>
> > Once upon a time, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> said:
> > > - Postfix default MTA, probably get rid of sendmail altogether
> >
> > Don't get rid of sendmail unless you've got something to replace it.
> > Last I looked, postfix cannot replace sendmail on my servers, although
> > it is a lot better than qmail (gag!).
>
> Out of curiosity, why not?
>
> > What is the bias against sendmail?  Don't give me security history; how
> > many security holes have there been in OpenSSL, OpenSSH, Apache, the
> > Linux kernel, rsync, etc. over the last couple of years?  Now, how many
> > in sendmail?  I don't see people ranting to replace OpenSSH because they
> > recently had several security releases in less than a week.
>
> Postfix is a viable alternative to sendmail with a much better security
> history and architecture. These other projects don't have secure usable
> replacements.

I think Postfix is pretty much the best alternative since it even has a
sendmail command (called the Postfix to Sendmail compatibility
interface) so programs that sends mail using sendmail will still work.
I'm not aware of any other MTA that can replace sendmail in this way,
though I could be wrong...

Jean-Rene Cormier