Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 13:57:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 13:41, Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:
> I think Postfix is pretty much the best alternative since it even has a
> sendmail command (called the Postfix to Sendmail compatibility
> interface) so programs that sends mail using sendmail will still work.
> I'm not aware of any other MTA that can replace sendmail in this way,
> though I could be wrong...

Most MTAs have some degree of sendmail command line compatibility simply
because its the historic unix way of mail injection - however since its
also evolved and never been documented its also interesting to implement
:-(

Exim can be used as a drop in replacement for sendmail (including
handling aliases & .forwards, but the config is significantly
different).

I'd look favourably on the idea of having the default default (as in
absolutely no questions asked on install) MTA be something that does no
local delivery at all, but is intended to punt everything to your
company or ISP smarthost.

	Nigel.