MySQL client relicense (was RE: Fedora Core 2 wishlists)

Murray.Cumming at Comneon.com Murray.Cumming at Comneon.com
Wed Dec 10 15:00:23 UTC 2003

Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Then you can't use MySQL with PHP
> >
> > Is there an instructive URL regarding this issue?
>
> The license document. MySQL4 changed the client libraries
> from LGPL to GPL which makes using mysql with a lot of stuff
> like PHP infeasible

I am looking in the MySQL 4 tarball. Exactly what license document do you
mean? COPYING.LIB is still the LGPL.

Has anyone actually asked MySQL to clarify this, or did they make any
announcement of it?

Their web site says that their (awful) C++ wrapper of the client library is
still LGPL:
http://www.mysql.com/products/mysql++/index.html

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com