AMD64 Linux documentation

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Dec 11 23:47:52 UTC 2003

On Thursday 11 December 2003 18:32, Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 16:00, Gene C. wrote:
> > The AMD64 systems are the only one currently supported by Red Hat that
> > seem to have this bimodal capability (the Sparc is not supported any
> > longer).  I have
>
> Is there no SPARC version of Fedora?  Is that what you mean by "...the
> SPARC is not supported any longer..."?

I believe that 6.2 was the last version that Red Hat where Red Hat supported
the Sparc.

> > no idea if the ppc64 or the s390z can concurrently run 32 bit
> > applications.
>
> As I understand it, Apple's G5 systems are capable of running both 64-
> and 32-bit apps side by side.  The processor has all of the G4 32-bit
> instructions.
>
> The same should hold true for IBM's Power4 systems, as long as the
> appropriate libraries were present for the applications, of course.

Not surprised about the G5 or the Power4.  However, the AMD64 is the only
architecture that Red Hat currently is trying to support dual architecture
under a single OS (If you ignore the i386/i586/i686/athlon support).  The
problem is that with the AMD64 you want most of the packages in the
distribution to be 64 bit with support to run other (user) 32 bit
applications.  The i386/i586/etc situation has most packages as i386 with
only a very few being other architectures [IMHO far easier].
--
Gene