AMD64 Linux documentation

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 16:14:33 UTC 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 11:08:08AM -0500, Gene C. wrote:
> 2.  I understand that the /etc and /usr/share files do not likely matter since
> they will be most likely identical.  However, won't rpm still complain since
> you already have the package installed even if for a different architecture
> (ix86 vice x86_64) ... and if not about the package then about the duplicate
> files?  Somehow, using --force does not seem to be a good solution since it
> overrides and lot of safety checking.

Since the very beginning of RPM, it has been OK to share *identical*
files between packages.  They are refcounted and only removed when the
last package referencing them is removed.

> 3. I see a lot of packages with /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/bin files
> (programs).  Depending on which package gets installed last will depend on
> which architecture's program gets installed.  Now, I well believe that this
> might be "controlable" during the anaconda install process with some hacks,
> but how about post install updating?

Not every package is installed in both versions.  In particular, you
rarely want two versions of a program installed.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/