sleep/suspend support in kernel

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Dec 13 10:31:29 UTC 2003

[Cc'ing swsusp-devel, as Nigel and friends will certainly know better
than I do.]

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 01:04:29AM +0000, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 21:28, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > > - CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND
> > >   Pavel's original version. No-one who has seen the code
> > >   can hold their lunch. It's really ugly, I don't trust it a bit.
> > >
> > > - CONFIG_PM_DISK
> > >   Pat Mochels cleaned up version of Pavel's work.
> > >   Not much better, but somewhat better.
> > >   Pat no longer works at OSDL, and may not have time to continue
> > >   this as much as he previously did, so this may or may not get
> > >   finished, depending on Pat's spare time.
> > >
> > > - CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP
> > >   AFAIK, nothing to do with the above.
> >
> > What about the current swsusp development done by Nigel Cunningham? It
> > seems quite active and just yesterday there was the third release
> > candidate for 2.0 for both 2.4 and 2.6.
>
> I wasn't aware that there were 2.6 patches for this now, this is a
> recent change. Ok, so now there are 4 suspend-to-disk possibilities :-/

I think this is a continued development of CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND.

	     http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/

Tom "spot" Callaway had kindly provided modified patches for severn on
people.redhat.com (but I couldn't get them working on my _very old_
laptop), as well as Gerald Teschl for FC1 after he removed some very
important patches (nptl and exec-shield, I think).

AFAIK CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP and CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND are orthogonal in
their functionality, e.g. suspend to RAM and suspend to disk, or not?
So both would be nice to have, and make laptop users love you twice ;)
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de