netplug [was Re: Automatically bringing ethernet interfaces up when the cableis connected]

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Mon Dec 15 17:42:55 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 09:15, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> What's been discussed is the kernel natively exporting these
> interfaces over dbus, and handling them that way.

Who's this been discussed with?  I think, from experience, that the
networking maintainers would have a fit if you tried to get them to talk
dbus.  I can even outline the course of the flamage for you: "use
netlink sockets, they're the one true way".

I can certainly extend netplug to generate dbus events; that's no
problem, fits entirely in userspace, and won't result in flamage from
David or Alexey :-)

How about decoupling it into a daemon that generates dbus events, and
another daemon that listens for dbus events and performs sensible
default actions?  That way, you get modularity, the ability to change
the behaviour if necessary, plus a reasonable default behaviour.

	<b