Change default MTA was Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Dec 15 23:46:35 UTC 2003

Chris Ricker writes:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> No, and I'd be surprised if he ever does anything with Qmail again.
>
> I'd heard he was doing some total rewrite for qmail-2.0. That might just be
> vicious 'net rumor though....

… a three-year old one, that is.

> What I was picturing there was the process of an MUA using PID as naming
> moving mail from new -> cur (in conjunction w/ MDA using dev#inode#) getting
> horked by the MUA exiting and restarting with its PID recycled. Locking

But, unless your “dev#inode#” looks like a single integer, there's no chance
of a collision.

Anyway, Postfix should be using the documented convention for inserting the
device/inode pair into the filename.  Other software may use milliseconds,
process IDs, or several other entities (including random numbers); but as
long as everyone follows the same convention -- even if they use different
entities -- there's no chance of anyone stepping on anyone else's toes.