Nameing guideline for external kernel-modules in fedora(.us)

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Wed Dec 17 07:09:36 UTC 2003

On 16 Dec 2003 11:57:54 -0800, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> IMHO the problem of users picking up the wrong package should be solved
> with proper dependencies so that it is not possible to install the wrong
> package at all.

SMP users often have the UP kernel installed, too. Since ALSA is optional,
you cannot force them to install kernel modules for both SMP and UP
kernel. In case they pick the wrong package (because they don't pay
attention to the "smp" in the package name), it won't work.

> If you try to install a particular kernel module and the
> matching kernel for it is not there, RPM should refuse to install it.

Of course.

> If you try to install the wrong architecture RPM should refuse to install
> it.

Do you suggest putting the %arch into the package name, too?
(I don't see the kernel rpm provide anything like that, though)

> This means no shared up and smp modules in the same package. Each
> package has the modules that are needed by one and only one kernel
> (which BTW is in its own package).

It's like that currently. But with SMP and UP in a single package, it's
impossible to pick the wrong one. The package just gets larger.