Self-Introduction: Toshio Kuratomi

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Dec 17 19:18:50 UTC 2003

Toshio Ernie Kuratomi
Burlington, VT, USA

Unemployed Linux Admin and Web Programmer

I've been browsing the available software in the Fedora repository and
found it to lack many small Gnome apps that help to make Linux so
pleasant to work on.  These are the programs I'd be most interested in
packaging.

I'd be willing to do QA if I knew what the term means in this context.
I've seen a lot of discussion but not seen any conclusion.  Does QA mean
-- It runs(RPM)?  It compiles(SRPM)?  I've checked that the Sources and
patches come from legitimate places?  I have time on my hands right now
so I'd certainly be willing to do these things.  Auditing source code is
another matter entirely -- I'm not a crack programmer and I barely know
where to begin with that.  I'd feel very uncomfortable signing off on a
package if that's what QA is supposed to entail.  A good, "canonical"
post on the wiki clarifying what QA is, and some step-by-step guides to
doing it would be marvelous.

I have been interested in seeing a good third party, community-based
packaging scheme using RPM for a long time.  I'd like to add thoughts,
code, and philosophy to making this aspect of Fedora grow and become
great.  However, I realize I tend to think(talk) too much sometimes so
I'll try to keep my mouth shut for at least a little while.

I've been involved in a small way with many projects.  My best work has
probably been troubleshooting and small feature contributions to other
projects.  I created an autoconf test for libxml2, sent in a few
enhancements to libtool, hacked giflib to write uncompressed gifs (to
work around the LZW patent,) and packaged a variety of software for the
old redhat contrib area.  I'm good at identifying small, annoying
problems, and fixing them.

I use Python, PHP, SQL, XML, C, bourne shell, and m4/autoconf
regularly.  I've been hobbying around with several of the components of
the Gnome system for a number of years (libxml2, ORBit, glib, etc).
Started using them all with Python this year and have started wondering
why I tried learning new concepts in C :-)

I'm a jack-of-all-trades, master of none type guy so I don't think you
should trust me with anything breakable (like source code auditing...)
But by the same token, I absorb as much information on any topic as I
have the time for so I can take a pretty good stab at making anything
work.  I think this is a good thing in a packager, where one has to keep
in mind a million different recipes for building "correct" spec files
and still come out with a working rpm by the end of the day.

pub  1024D/CD84EE48 2000-11-23 Toshio Ernie Kuratomi (me
toshio at tiki-lounge.com a.badger at abadger.f2s.com)
<badger at prtr-13.ucsc.edu>
Key fingerprint = 1289 DAF3 C7FC 1108 C77D  ADD9 5FAC 8089 CD84 EE48
sub  2048g/229C6D94 2000-11-23

-Toshio

--
Toshio <toshio  tiki-lounge.com>