Nameing guideline for external kernel-modules in fedora(.us)

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Dec 17 20:55:34 UTC 2003

> > > If you try to install a particular kernel module and the
> > > matching kernel for it is not there, RPM should refuse to install it.
> >
> > Of course.
>
> Currently it depends on the file
>
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl[smp]

Hmmm, I'm using something like:
Requires:     kernel%{kernel_suffix} = %{kernel_up_version}

> Is that sufficient? I think we should check the arch somehow, too. Will
> check

Please please add some check for the architecture. See my other response
in this thread. AFAIK to do it properly would require that the kernel
provides a proper "Provide" which includes the kernel architecture. Then
it is easy to include a "Requires" that checks for it. If you don't do
this you _will_ get users asking about missing kernel symbols after they
install the wrong package (and rpm does not complain). Been there, done
that. Not fun.

-- Fernando