Excessive package interdependency

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Thu Dec 18 11:36:06 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 01:11, Thomas Hille wrote:

> It uses the Xterm mouse-sequences, nothing else (well, that's what their
> documentation says)

That's the problem: mouse-sequences on X terminals depend on XFree86.

> On the other hand you should consider, that especially mc, the typical
> console-application, used (at least by me) in ssh-sessions, really
> doesn't need X. And as I pointed out before, I'm not sure to which
> extend mc makes use of the libs, if any. I will look a bit further into
> this issue.

I agree with you 200%. By default, I don't need X features on such
applications that are mainly used on text-based sessions. Those
features/dependencies shouldn't be enabled by default. If I want them, I
could recompile.

> Until then, I just force the installation (nodeps) without the X-libs. -
> works fine. Even mouse over ssh in an xterm......

That's a solution I've had to use sometimes in the past. For example, I
don't like KDE depending on xmms.