SNMP detection of network printers, part 2

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 12:11:10 UTC 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 06:55:14AM -0500, Gene C. wrote:

> What about other connection types such as cups running on another
> systems (or lpd)?

For cups running on another system, why not use browsing
('Automatically find remote shared queues')?  And if that really isn't
an option, where should the filtration be done?  If at the remote end
then I can just prefill 'Generic PostScript' in the make/model screen.

For lpd, I've no idea how to find out more about the printer.  And
again: where is filtration generally done?  Maybe 'Generic PostScript'
is a good default for that too.

> I assume that when this works with JetDirect, that once I have
> identified the printer as a JetDirect connection, SNMP will be used
> to get the information necessary to select the foomatic entry
> without manually selecting it.

Indeed.

It might even be worth skipping the 'select printer model' screen
altogether in that case, since we are sure which one it is.  What do
you think?

Tim.
*/