Gnome and KDE sharing the same Desktop folder

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 18:11:31 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 09:50, =?iso-8859-1?B?QW5kcukgT3JpYW5p ?= wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the list, so I don't know if we have had some discussion about Gnome and KDE sharing the same Desktop folder on FC1.
> I've used RedHat since version 8 , and always  these destop enviroments have differents directories for Desktop. I've upgrade to Fedora from RH9 an I got a mess!! Desktop items that mount a device from Kde don't work  in Gnome and 'vice-versa'.
> I hope that in FC2 KDE and Gnome come back to use different folders.

That's the wrong fix; instead, the desktops need to be fixed not to
screw up when the folder is shared. The folder name is an ISV API and a
UI expectation and shouldn't be changing all the time.

The way this works in GNOME is that GNOME doesn't write any
autogenerated files to ~/Desktop. Fixing KDE to work the same way
probably isn't too hard, then the problem would be solved.

Havoc