pine cone - Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Fri Dec 19 20:03:55 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 14:40, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:45:51PM -0500, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > > For long-time pine users (or at least this one), it's no more suitable than
> > > mutt....
> >
> > As in, it's not an exact replacement, no.
>
> Right. But if you're a long-term pine user, you're likely still using it
> because you're deeply used to the keystrokes (which are different in cone).
> If you're going to bother to learn new keystrokes, you might as well just go
> for mutt which is:

Where I have always decided Pine was an easier client was that I could
configure it in a consistant manner. Everything was in nice menu forms
that seemed to be easily readable with nice help and clear instructions
on the bottom. My brain just could not grok mutts configuration system,
and most people would tell me to just edit the .muttrc directly when I
wanted to tell someone over the phone.. do this, do this, and there you
can send me an email on what is broken with your machine. [I will put
this down as probably 80% me knowing pine very well and 20% that pine
seems more user-oriented. I know people who can explain vi in 10 minutes
to a complete newbie and it seems to stick.. me all I know is enough vi
to be able to configure the old emacs-14 makefiles.]

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645