problems with dev rpm

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Mon Dec 22 17:17:06 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 12:07, Stan Bubrouski wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 11:49, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> > The dev RPM in the development tree (dev-3.3.9-2.i386.rpm) seems to very
> > reliably crash my test machine. Is anyone else seeing this sort of
> > behavior?
> >
> > It's a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop, which uses a P2 mobile 450 CPU.
> >
> > kernel-2.6.0-0.1.14.i686.rpm is installed, everything else from the
> > development tree seems to be up-to-date and working fine for me. But any
> > attempt to install dev presents me with a long trace, and a totally hung
> > machine.
> >
> > I guess I'll bugzilla it now, then if I can get some free time tonight
> > try and make it generate a core before it locks up dead. But at the
> > moment I haven't a clue what might be the root cause, so it seemed worth
> > asking if anyone else has similar issues.
>
> Problems with rpm, dev, ... in the development is making me scared to
> put it on a new partition.  Karl some people complained of rpm not
> functioning correctly in the dev tree, are you quite sure the package is
> getting fully installed and all that?

rpm seems to be OK - I can install and remove any other RPM just fine.
Queries work fine too. Are there any other symptoms of RPM corruption
that I should look for?

I could remove the db and rebuild, but that seems a little extreme in
the case where there is no sign of problems with rpm itself, at least to
my untrained eye.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>