Permissions problem

Josko Plazonic plazonic at Math.Princeton.EDU
Tue Dec 23 17:08:34 UTC 2003

Have to agree with that, it only got worse with RH 9 and happened very
regularly in public clusters.  I think that whenever it happened some
applications from previous user were hanging and the only way for a non
privileged user to fix it is to reboot the machine in question (very
annoying).  My solution was to patch pam_console code to recognize a new
option that forces takeover of ownership regardless of pam counting.
That way I can force it for gdm logins.

There was already some talk on this list about making sure the logout
shuts down more gnome apps (like gconfd-2 and others), hopefully that
will also help with this problem.

Josko