Diskless workstations

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Jul 23 22:41:57 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 16:33, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 17:40, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> > Hi one thing that has come up over and over again (here) is that Debian
> > is easier to install into a diskless workstation environment than Red
> > Hat. I being the RH bigot that I am have not tried this yet, but I get
> > the feeling that it is.
> >
> > I would really like to see some work on making a Heavy Diskless
> > Workstation install possible in the future. [Heavy Diskless means boxes
> > that have say 1-2 gigs of Ram, big CPUs, and 100 mbps network at least.]
> > THere are many environments that use this heavy duty, and right now I am
> > having to admin 4 different ways of killing the problem with no one
> > absolutely correct.
>
>   Well, if I understand what you are asking for, the K12LTSP project (at
> http://www.k12ltsp.org/) serves this purpose quite well.  Version 3.1.1
> is Red Hat 9 with updates (through around June 24), ltsp packages from
> http://www.ltsp.org/ and a few additional packages suitable for an
> educational environment.

Actually it is the opposite of want I need. The clients are usually
multi cpu/ large ram machines/ etc with the server being not much at
all.

I think that LTSP servers 90% of most diskless environment needs.. I
just end up in the 10% where the machines are diskless for programatic
needs but the work must be done on the workstation (Lets just say a lot
of the work maxes out a 2-4 CPU workstation.)

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645 (note new #)