the installer...

david paeme david.paeme at belbone.net
Fri Jul 25 07:11:40 UTC 2003

Hi again,

I have a little question about the standard rh installer, regarding a
little problem I had.

In RH9, the installer kernel is compiled for i686 (RH8 was i386). Since
this is not a bad thing, It kinda gives some problems sometimes when
installing on certain systems.
For example: The installer-kernel kept on crashing when trying to do an
install on my little home server, which has a Via C3 processor (you
know, soldered on one of those sweet mini-itx boards), which does not
support the i686 instruction set (almost, but it doesn't support the
'cmov' instruction).

I was wondering if it would be possible to keep the option open to
install future redhats on older systems? I think this would be a "good
thing"(tm), since not everyone uses high-end machines.
(also: think of people in developing countries, who can use the latest
and greatest os features, without having to spend a fortune on the
latest/greatest machines.)