cipe

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 20:29:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 15:21, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 03:06:15PM -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> > (Perhaps we should up the size restriction limit a bit on the -devel
> > list to allow patches to be posted?)
>
> Or leave it the way it is to encourage aggressive use of bugzilla!

I know to use bugzilla, others may not. Perhaps the "message too big"
response could point patch submissions to bugzilla?

> > Both valid points. Attached are the four patches to add Cipe 1.5.4
> > support into the kernel. The cipe3 and cipe4 patch add the two cipe
> > protocol trees, configured for blowfish. These patches include all
> > relevant diffs from Red Hat's 1.4.6 cipe implementation. I also removed
> > the check for VERSION_MAGIC, since IMHO, it was just useless to force
> > the daemon to be built at the same time as the kernel modules.
>
> With all your patches applied, what happens from the user perspective?
> How do they connect to a system only running protocol version 3?
> Ditto 4?

Well, a kernel built with this (and CONFIG_CIPE3=m and CONFIG_CIPE4=m)
generates two modules:
cipcb.o (v3)
cipdb.o (v4)

If you need to connect to a v3 machine, use the cipcb.o module, v4, the
latter.

Admittedly, the userspace needs some fixups too. Basically, the cipe
package needs to be split into a v3/v4 manner (think krb, but not quite
so bad), so that you install what you need. However, getting the kernel
to support it is the first step. I'm planning on doing the userspace
work at some point this week. :)

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> SAIR LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Enterprise Architect :: http://www.redhat.com
Project Leader for Aurora Sparc Linux :: http://auroralinux.org
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot