RH recommends using Windows? plus a Question!

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Tue Nov 4 23:52:19 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 21:59, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 02:32:45PM -0500, Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:
> > But, like mandrake's, it is woefully lacking.
>
> One thing I want to see happen is a self-service hardware compatibility
> service that makes it easy for users to provide information on the
> compatibility they are seeing with their hardware on Fedora, and for
> which the information is well-enough organized that you can actually
> have good searches for that information.
>
> My basic concept is that there's a lot of information on the system
> that you can get at with tools like lspci and dmidecode.  Parse that
> into units of hardware and present the user a GUI that lets them
> make some easy assignments for how well things work (default is
> "don't know" in order to avoid garbage) with definitions for the
> levels, and places for comments for each piece of hardware.  Then
> this data is uploaded (signed with the user's gpg key?) in a
> structured, parseable format (xml?) to a centralized database that
> is both downloadable and web-searchable.
>
> Any volunteers?  :-)

I could be interested but I'm just wondering: why not use a web form to
fetch those information ? Isn't it easier to create a simple form in PHP
on redhat's website than create a GUI app ? Users will need an internet
connection to validate their form anyway, so I don't see the point to
have a desktop app. But maybe I'm missing something...

Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>