universal bootloader and embedded linux are not working properly

Hander Martin m.hander at el-me.de
Wed Nov 5 13:51:45 UTC 2003

Hello,

I'm setting up a new board and I use the universal bootloader and embedded
linux for this. I can boot the board with this programs, but there exists a
problem with the ethernet connection.

When I boot the universal bootloader, then start the embedded linux and then
call ifconfig with some parameters I don't get an ethernet connection. In
the output of the starting linux I get a mac adress like this:
00:00:00:00:00:00.

When I boot the universal bootloader and enter dhcp then I receive an
ethernet adress from my dhcp server. Then I start embedded linux and make an
ifconfig call for assigning an ip adress to my board then I get an ethernet
connection. In the output of the starting linux I get a valid mac adress.

I know, that this problem can also be a problem of the universal bootloader,
but I want to be sure about who is responsible for this malfunction.

if somebody knows a way to go around this problem and knows how to
automatically receive an ethernet connection I would be very thankful.

If somebody knows how to solve this problem or knows where the bug is I
would also be very thankful.

Thanks

Martin Hander
M.Hander at el-me.de