Re: Hardware Database (WAS Re: RH recommends using Windows? plus aQuestion!)

Le mer 05/11/2003 à 16:31, Sean Millichamp a écrit :
> On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 02:13, Maxwell Kanat-Alexander wrote:
> >
> > 	Primary Purpose of the System: To allow users to know if their hardware
> > works with Fedora/Red Hat Linux.
>
> When cataloging hardware things like PCI ids and chipsets obviously need
> to be tracked because ultimately that is what Linux tends to care about
> and that seems to be what most of the discussion is around.
>
> However, from a user's standpoint they are much more likely to be
> looking at brand names and models.  I think it is very important that if
> there is no way to conclusively determine a brandname/model from the
> hardware systematically then there should be a spot for the user to
> enter the brand and model as the product is sold and marketed.

Ie use the pci db and feed it too.
Manufacturer is usually not too difficult to guess (with pci and usb
devices). Model is not (even under other OSes).

Of course, you always have the problem of "branded" mass-market
hardware, when the id returned is the OEM one and the shiny logo on the
box something else.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot