FC2 release dates

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 20:38:44 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:03:33PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> Worth asking: What group makes this final decision?

As technical leader, it's my job to fix the fact that our leadership
page on the fedora.redhat.com site is still a draft.  That's something
I'll be working on next week (doesn't mean I'll finish next week, but
it's going to be one of the few items at the top of my list, so I'll
probably get behind on email and be high-latency on IRC) and then we
will have the group that can make the call.

Roughly, we'll have a committee who is responsible for listening to
all the arguments and making a decision.  It will have folks from
Red Hat and others on it.  Red Hat's needs and community needs will
both be part of the decision-making process.

I should mention here my concept of Fedora leadership.  I don't
believe that leadership by appointment works very well, at least
in this context.  My intention for Fedora leadership is that
we'll be *recognizing* people who are already acting as the
leaders in the community.  Not necessarily the people who have
the most to say all the time (<grin>) but the ones who lead
by action, and whose goals as expressed in their actions are
aligned with our goals, the statement of which is available at
http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html and which we expect
to refine over time.

I want to be clear that Red Hat will be bringing some clear objectives
to the table for this discussion.  I'll say right away that a 2.6
kernel as soon as possible has at least three reasons that we care about:
 o  We have a LOT of end users urgently requesting it.
 o  Linus has asked us to do a 2.6-kernel-default distribution
    absolutely ASAP, and his request carries significant weight.
 o  Red Hat has an interest in doing a distribution with a 2.6
    kernel from the standpoint of our work on our Enterprise
    products.

HTH,

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/