RPM submission script

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Nov 7 22:36:50 UTC 2003

seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu>:
> > > ugh - a lot of data in rpms is not utf-8 happy. Often in latin-1 or
> > > beyond that in the encoding.
> >
> > Again, that's OK.  The stuff in the message doesn't include the
> > RPM itself, One of the fields is optionally an
> > associated-file-resource URL that could *point* at an RPM, but
> > that's a different matter.
>
> no I mean things like:
> descriptions
> vendor names
> packager names
> summaries
> filenames
>
> shall I continue? :)

Maybe you'd better.  You're not making any sense to me, which could mean
either that you are being stupid, or that I am being stupid, or that we
are talking right past one another.  We'd better figure out which :-).

All bug-bugzilla does is mine some strings out of an RFC822-conformant
message and use them to script the bug-submission CGI on a Bugzilla instance.
You can think of the message as a job card.  (The fields in the job card
can be supplied, or overridden, by command-line options.)

One of the fields handed to the CGI may be a URL pointing to an RPM.
It seems to me that the encoding of strings *in the RPM* is not an issue at
all for bug-bugzilla.  Only the contents of the fields in the job card
is an issue.  I don't understand why the requirement that those be UTF-8
should ever be onerous.